As demonstrated by the previously-mentioned southeast Louisiana candidate, Independent nonpartisan voices can bring important ideas to elections. It wasn't easy for him; for instance, many people immediately associated him with the sliminess of the political class. All spare time away from work was devoted to the campaign. The media's resistance and the incumbent's snubs were not easy to take. But nearly 15,000 people voted for him, and who knows how many "disciples" carried his message forward.
To improve our democracy and public policymaking, in general, we must incorporate these Independent voices in the electoral mainstream.
- Demand the media cover all candidates.
- Require public debates that include all candidates and provide open-ended discussion formats.
- Provide for some public funding of campaigns so that those who choose the non-prostitution path can be heard too.
- Vote out incumbents who don't cooperate.
- And above all ... Run for office!